Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Landing in North Africa















We are on our way to North Africa, and I have high hopes. This will be my great war, my turn to conquer. I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. I read Rommel's book, and I know how he fights. With II Corp I will meet him whenever wherever and destroy the son of a b****! I have a feeling I have met Rommel before....When I fought with Napoleon there was a Prussian soldier who killed me...now it is my turn for revenge. I will once again see where I fought at Zama and Carthage. D***, but it makes me feel alive!

The landings were chaotic as always. I had to direct troops myself; thank God no German planes strafed the beach where I was.

The Sultan of Morocco gave me a medal some order of something or other. It had a nice inscription though:
"The lions in their dens tremble at his approach"

I just finishes reading the Koran. As I wrote Bea, "Just finished reading the Koran—a good book and interesting, but to me it seems certain that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammad and the utter degradation of women is the outstanding cause for the arrested development of the Arab. . . . Here, I think, is a text for some eloquent sermon on the virtues of Christianity."

No comments:

Post a Comment