Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"America will not tolerate a loser," My Childhood pt. 2

I was never in formal school until i attended VMI. Prior to this I was tutored at home by my father's friend John Mosby. A confederate partisan during the war, he never surrendered preferring to disband his unit. We went on many long rides together on horseback. He would play J.E.B. Stuart, and I would be Robert E. Lee; together we would discuss battle plans, and how to destroy the godd*** Yankees. From an early age military strategy was important to me. I was then sent to VMI. I was there for 2 years and then transferred to West Point.

My father worked hard those two years I was in VMI to get me appointed to West Point. Due to my diffuculty reading (author's note Patton suffered from Dyslexia and Asthma) I studied almost constantly to try and pass the entrance exam. When we finally received the good news of my appointment my father wrote me a letter. He said "We are satisfied, because that which a man most desires to do in this world is what he is generally most fit to do."

At West Point I was taught that "America loves a winner, and will not tolerate a loser, this is why America has never, and will never, lose a war.” I was instructed that my men would not respect me unless I swore like a sailor and got down on their level in my rhetoric, but stayed distant as a commander. Due my difficulties with reading I was forced to re-do my Plebe year. I did not gain many friends at West Point I had to work on my studies all the time, and my difficulties did not earn me many friends; however, as my father taught me the man who must stand alone fights hardest.
The one bright spot in my time at West Point was Beatrice. I had known her since childhood, and having her with me for dances and social activities made me feel much more at ease. I have always been extremely hard on myself. I believe that a man should not hold anyone else to a standard he himself can not keep. It was the greatest joy of my life to marry Beatrice. Below you can see a picture from our wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment